Buckden Gavel Mine

Mining started 450 feet below the summit of Buckden Pike in the 1690s and continued until 1877. The entrance is at the top of Buckden Ghyll.

For information about the mine and its history, click here

For pictures of the mine, click here

In March 1964, a party of students from Birmingham University discovered a body deep inside the mine tunnels. Click here to read the story of Buckden Bill,  as told by local journalist   Sebastian Oake (reprinted from The Dalesman)


N.B. The mine workings are dangerous and should only be entered under the supervision of a qualified guide.

Some 1.5 Km of the workings have been approved for visiting (under trained supervision) by The Mines Inspectorate - this represents some 10% of total of tunnels.  
The National Trust in Upper Wharfedale organise occasional visits to the Mine. These pictures were taken on a visit in September 2013 led by  Nigel Ball, National training officer for the British Caving Association.

For information about future guided visits, email upperwharfedale@nationaltrust.org.uk (It's a great day out!)