Hubberholme Church

   
The church of St Michael & All Angels, Hubberholme was originally a forest chapel and dates from the 12th century. It was originally dedicated to the Northumbrian, Saint Oswald. The present church is famous for its rood loft, one of only two surviving in Yorkshire, which is thought to have come from Coverham Priory in 1558.

The choir stall and pews were made by Thompson of Kilburn in 1934 - and several of his carved mice can be seen. Legend has it that the altar in the Lady Chapel was rescued, many years ago, from the George Inn across the road, where it was being used as a bar! The candelabra were the only source of illumination until 1955 and are still used to light the Christmas Carol service.

The church is the last resting place of Bradford born author, J.B. Priestley, who wrote of Hubberholme - "one of the smallest and most pleasant places in the world". A memorial can be seen at the back of the church.

The church is full of interesting details and is well worth a visit.
 
Contact Details:

Vicar: Rev'd James Theodosius (01756) 760237

Churchwardens: David Lusted - (01756) 760877;  Tim Berry - (01756) 760365

Churchwarden Emeritus: Avril Harrison

Website: www.upperwharfedalechurches.org

 

 
Services

For details of service times at St Michael's and other churches in the benefice, please click here

The Book of Common Prayer is used for all services

Other Churches / Faiths:
Details of local places of worship of other denominations and faiths can be found under local information